Qatar Withdraws From OPEC – World News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

Qatar Withdraws From OPEC

Published

on

Qatar Withdraws From OPEC

Qatar is pulling out of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, OPEC, in January after sixty years as a member.

The country’s energy minister said at a news conference he decision to quit the cartel was communicated to OPEC on Monday.

In June last year, a political and economic boycott of Qatar was imposed by Arab states of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Egypt over allegations it supports terrorism.  Doha has denied the charges, and says its exit from OPEC is not related to the actions by the three Arab states.

READ:  Egypt To Offer Citizenship To Foreigners For $400,000 Deposit

Qatar is the world’s largest exporter of Liquefied Natural Gas, even though it is one of the cartel’s smallest oil producers.  Al kaabi says his country had studied how it could enhance its role internationally and had decided to increase its liquefied natural gas production from 77 million to 110 million tonnes per year.

READ:  South Korea's Moon Wants 'Irrevocable' Progress On Nuke Diplomacy

Qatar would still attend the OPEC meeting in Vienna that starts on Thursday and will set oil policy for next year.

One analyst says this is not good news for the oil market.  He also says it won’t be surprising if more countries follow suit.

READ:  Al Qaeda Claims Attack That Killed U.N. Peacekeepers In Mali

Qatar pumps six hundred thousand barrels per day, while Saudi Arabia pumps eleven million.

World News

UPDATES: Dutch Police Arrest Suspect In Deadly Tram Shooting

Published

on

By

Dutch Police Arrest Suspect In Deadly Tram Shooting

Dutch police have arrested The suspect in the deadly tram shooting in Utrecht, Netherlands, officials say.

Motive for the shooting remains unclear; police have said they were investigating a “possible terrorist motive” for the attack, but reports have also emerged that the shooting might have its roots in a family dispute.

READ:  Honduras, Guatemala Move To Stop Migrant Caravan After Trump Threats

The shooting incident occurred in the Dutch city of Utrecht where a gunman opened fire on a tram in the central part of the city on Monday killing at least three persons and wounding nine.

READ:  US, Poland Host Middle East Summit

Utrecht police have released a photo of the suspect. He is Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish national.

Continue Reading

World News

Utrecht Shooting: Gunman Kills 3 People On Dutch Tram In Possible Terrorist Attack

Published

on

By

Utrecht Shooting: Gunman Kills 3 People On Dutch Tram In Possible Terrorist Attack

A shooting incident has occurred just a few hours ago in the Dutch city of Utrecht where a gunman opened fire on a tram in the central part of the city on Monday killing at least three persons and wounding nine.

READ:  UN Indicts China, S/Arabia Over Death Penalty

The terror threat level around the city has been raised to maximum. They say the incident is being considered a possible terrorist incident.

Utrecht police have released a photo of the suspect.  He is Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish national.

READ:  U.S. Regulator Sues Musk For Fraud, Seeks To Remove Him From Tesla

Police say there is the possibility there could be more than one shooter involved in the attack.

In neighboring Germany, police were carrying out checks on trains from the Netherlands and manning highways as well as mirror border crossings.

READ:  5 Members Of Egyptian Security Forces Under Investigation For Murder Of Italian Student

Continue Reading

World News

Utrecht Shooting: Three Die In Tram Attack, Police Hunt For Turkish Man

Published

on

By

Utrecht Shooting: Three Die In Tram Attack, Police Hunt For Turkish Man

Dutch security forces were hunting for a 37-year-old Turkish man suspected of having shot several people, three of them fatally, on a tram in the city of Utrecht on Monday, in what authorities said appeared to be a terrorist attack.

READ:  Al Qaeda Claims Attack That Killed U.N. Peacekeepers In Mali

Dutch authorities raised the terrorism threat to its highest level in Utrecht province, schools were told to shut their doors and paramilitary police increased security at airports and other vital infrastructure and also at mosques.

READ:  Merkel, Babis Finally Agree On Migration

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: