School Girls' Genital Cutting And Pregnancy Test Are Demeaning - Kenyan Teachers – Education News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

School Girls’ Genital Cutting And Pregnancy Test Are Demeaning – Kenyan Teachers

Published

on

School Girls' Genital Cutting And Pregnancy Test Are Demeaning - Kenyan Teachers

Kenyan teachers in Narok County have said they would disregard a directive to perform tests on school girls for female genital cutting and pregnancy.  The directive was given by commissioner George Natembeya for all upper primary and secondary school girls.

County Secretary General of the Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers, Charles Ng’eno, says the tests are demeaning and are a violation of the girls’ rights.   He also says the directive does not fall under their mandate, and so, teachers should ignore it.

READ:  Kenya's Former World Champion Bett Dies In Road Accident

Ng’eno says the directives is in bad faith and it infringes on the rights of learners.

The commissioner has insisted that pregnancy and FGM tests would be conducted on all girls as schools reopened on Thursday, but Kuppet Secretary General, Charles Ng’eno says it is impossible to undo a cut that has been done.  He suggests stopping the cuts before they happen.

READ:  Ghanaian Law Professor Blames GLC And IEC For Law Exam Leak

More than two hundred school girls, between ten and nineteen years of age, from eight primary and secondary institutions, dropped out of school last year as a result of pregnancies.  More than sixty girls failed to sit for their national examinations for the same reason.

READ:  Barack Obama Visits Kenya

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Prime Minister And Cabinet Members Resign In Burkina Faso

Published

on

By

Prime Minister And Cabinet Members Resign In Burkina Faso

The cabinet of Burkina Faso President, Roch Marc Kabore, has resigned according to a statement released on national television by the country’s president.

Prime Minister Paul Kaba Thieba, a former economist, had held the position since January 2016 when he was nominated by President Roch Marc Christian Kabore. Kabore accepted the resignations and said, a new government is to be form as soon as possible while no explanation was given for there resignation.

The government  is faced growing pressure over a rise in the number of kidnappings and attacks. The country lies in the heart of the vast Sahel region, which is struggling with a bloody Islamist insurgency.

Canadian Edith Blais, 34, and her Italian partner Luca Tacchetto, 30, have been missing since mid-December, and late Wednesday a Canadian geologist kidnapped by suspected jihadists was found dead at a remote gold mine in the northeast.

READ:  Zim Prophet's 'Miracle HIV Drug' Not Registered, Health Ministry Says
Continue Reading

African News

Breaking: Court Grants Dino Melaye Bail On Health Ground

Published

on

By

Dino Melaye Granted Bail On Health Condition

Senator Dino Melaye has been granted bail by a High Court in Maitama, Abuja. Justice Yusuf Halilu granted bail to Melaye on health ground. Halilu was of the view that the Senator must be healthy to stand trial.

READ:  Schoolgirls Not Forced To Undergo FGM - Kenyan Authorities

The ruling was granted after an application by Melaye’s lawyer, Mike Ozekhome (SAN). The senator is currently being held in a police health facility in Abuja.

READ:  Barack Obama Visits Kenya

As terms for his bail, the defendant is expected to produce three sureties, one of whom must be the Clerk of the National Assembly.

The judge said the other two sureties must be owners of properties within the Abuja metropolis.

READ:  ECOWAS Unhappy About Rate Of Human Trafficking

Continue Reading

African News

Ghana: Undercover Reporter Cries Out Over Death Threats

Published

on

By

Ghana: Undercover Reporter Cries Out Over Death Threats

Ghanaian undercover reporter Anas Aremeyaw Anas has said, his team face death threats on a daily basis. He was speaking after his colleague Ahmed Hussein-Suale was shot dead while driving home, after a politician called for retribution against him.

READ:  3 Burundian Soldiers Killed In Attack By Unidentified Gunmen

Reports say Ahmed Hussein-Suale was near his home in Madina Suburb on Wednesday when two men on a motorbike pulled up next to his car and shot him at close range.

READ:  Barack Obama Visits Kenya

The journalist died instantly after being shot twice in the chest and in the neck.

He was an investigative journalist with tiger eye private investigations, run by Anas. Hussein had exposed Ghana’s soccer corruption that led to the head of the Ghana Football Association resignation.

READ:  Kenya's Former World Champion Bett Dies In Road Accident

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: