18 Indicted In $2 Billion Fraud In Mozambique – African News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

18 Indicted In $2 Billion Fraud In Mozambique

Published

on

18 Indicted In 2billion Dollar Fraud In Mozambique

Eighteen persons have been indicted in Mozambique over a two-billion-dollar fraud in loans to state-owned companies.  The scandal has ensnared two major international banks.

The attorney general’s office has said in a statement on Monday, the defendants, including public workers and other citizens, are indicted on charges of abuse of power, abuse of trust, swindling and money laundering.

READ:  Jihadist Insurgency: Trial Of 189 Suspected Islamist Militants Begins In Mozambique

The indictment came days after three credit Suisse former bankers were charged with fraud in the United States for their role in Mozambique’s 2013 deal to borrow money from international investors to fund projects that included a state tuna fishery.

READ:  Machar Arrives Ethiopia For Talks To End The Civil War

Mozambique’s former finance minister, sixty-three year old Manuel Chang, is one of the 18 indictees. He was arrested in neighbouring South Africa last week as part of the same case, and has denied wrongdoing.

READ:  'We'll come up with a credible report,' says Motlanthe after taking oath for violence probe in Zimbabwe

The attorney general’s office also said it would seek extradition of those charged in the united states and elsewhere to face charges in Mozambique.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Uganda: Police Steps Up Deployments To Stop More Cases Of FGM

Published

on

By

Uganda: Police Steps Up Deployments To Stop More Cases Of FGM

Authorities in Uganda’s Eastern Sebei region have reported an increase in cases of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), that is illegal in the country. Police say they have stepped up their deployments to stop any more cases.

Local leaders and activists say some FGM ceremonies are now happening in public in spite of the practice being illegal in Uganda. Most of the victims are believed to be married women in their 20s and 30s who face stigma for not having undergone the procedure.

READ:  Massive Societal Changes Needed To Meet Lower Global Warming Target World Needs - U.N.

A non-governmental agency says there have been at least 12 women who have undergone public circumcision, although there have been many more suspected cases.

FGM was banned in Uganda in 2010 with those committing the act facing up to 10 years in prison. Campaigning by the government and activists has led to a reduction in the practice.

READ:  French Foreign Minister Visits Libya To Push For Election

But now some women, who did not undergo the procedure before marriage, are said to be facing social isolation and pressure to get circumcised.

Continue Reading

African News

Security Officers Repulse Suspected Al-Shabaab Attack In Kenya

Published

on

By

Security Officers Repulse Suspected Al-Shabaab Attack In Kenya

Four more suspects named by Kenyan authorities as wanted following last week’s attack at the Dusitd2 complex in the capital, Nairobi, have surrendered. They reportedly handed themselves in at a police station in Isiolo, north-east of the capital.

READ:  President Trump's Tariffs Hits U.S. Solar

Kenyan police also said on Monday, they have thwarted an attack by suspected Somali militants Al Shabaab on a Chinese-owned construction company in an eastern region, days after the Islamist group killed 21 people in Nairobi.

READ:  'We'll come up with a credible report,' says Motlanthe after taking oath for violence probe in Zimbabwe

The assailants wounded one person while they attempted to hit the site in Garissa county, not far from the Kenyan-Somali border, owned by a Chinese road construction company that is building the Garissa-Modogashe highway.

READ:  Rescuers In Florida Panhandle Search For Missing People, Bodies After Hurricane

County Police Commander David Kerina says, the attackers were repulsed since the security officers were very alert.

Continue Reading

African News

South Sudan Govt Sets To Repair Oil Wells Damaged During Civil War

Published

on

By

South Sudan Govt Set To Repair Oil Wells Damaged During Civil War

South Sudan says it has begun repairing and pumping oil from wells damaged during the civil war that broke out in 2013. Oil Minister Ezekiel Lul Gatkuoth says the move will boost production by 70, 000 barrels per day by the end of the year.

READ:  The World's Major Powers Must Not Ignore Cameroon's Anglophone Crisis

The country gained independence from Sudan eight years ago, and currently produces 160,000 barrels per day.

Gatkuoth says wells are being repaired with the help of Sudan after production plunged to less than half of pre-war levels. South Sudan’s President Salva Kirr and rebel leader Riek Machar signed what they called the “final final” peace deal agreement to end the civil war in august last year. But it has not been fully implemented.

READ:  Denmark Cuts Aid To Tanzania Over Gay Rights

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: