ASUU Plans To Call Off Strike After Reaching Agreement With FG – Nigerian News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Nigerian News

ASUU Plans To Call Off Strike After Reaching Agreement With FG

Published

on

ASUU Rejects Tokenism As Members Reply FG

The Nigerian Government has reached an agreement with Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) over the unending strike action embarked on by the lecturers since November 4, 2019.

The Labour Minister, Chris Ngige  said there are indications the strike action would be call off soon after a meeting that lasted for hours with the university lecturers was held on Monday.

READ:  Okorocha, Masari Keep Mum After Meeting With Buhari

He said, the accountant general and the ministry of finance have confirmed with evidence that N15.4 billion had been released to public universities.

“On salary shortfall in tertiary institutions, the Ministry of Finance and the office of the accountant general on having provided us with evidence that on the 31st of December, 2018, before the expiration of the current 2018 budget that they have remitted N15,389,940,335.71 the minister added.

READ:  Nestlé Nigeria, RIDSCo Inaugurate Community Water Projects In Sagamu

ASUU president, Biodun Ogunyemi, said the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the union will review its decisions based on the new commitment by the federal government and  would hold a meeting to make a decision on the industrial action.

READ:  Buhari Orders Ngige To Facilitate Immediate End To ASUU Strike

Nigerian News

CCT Declines To Suspend Onnoghen’s Trial

Published

on

By

CCT Declines To Suspend Onnoghen's Trial

The Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, in Abuja, has declined to suspend further proceedings in the criminal charge against the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen.

The tribunal, said in a two-to-one decision, it would go ahead to hear the application the CJN filed to challenge its jurisdiction to try him on the six-count charge entered by the federal government that bordered on his alleged refusal to declare his assets.

READ:  FG And State Governors Fail To Reach Consensus On New Minimum Wage

There was a sharp disagreement between the chairman of the tribunal,  Danladi Umar and another member of the panel, William Agwadza Atedze, on the legal propriety of going ahead with trial, despite four separate interim injunctions, restraining all the parties from taking further steps in the matter, pending the determination of suits before different high courts and the National Industrial Court, NIC.

READ:  South-South Gov's Forum Describes Onnoghen's Trial As A Setback To Democracy

Umar says the tribunal is not constitutionally bound by orders from both the high court and the NIC

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

House Of Reps Summons 21 Mgt. Staff Of PenCom Over Pension Fund

Published

on

By

House Of Reps Summons 21 Mgt. Staff Of PenCom Over Pension Fund

Still in the house, top management staff of the National Pension Commission and 21 pension funds administrators have been asked to appear before the House of Representatives on Thursday.

An ad hoc committee issued the summons on Tuesday as part of its investigation of the alleged sharp practices by pension administrators and custodians.

READ:  Gunmen Kidnap 16 Miners In Kaduna

 

The committee invited the acting director-general, PenCom, Aisha Dahir-Umar, and other top executives of the commission, the pension administrators and custodians mandated with the management of pension funds.

READ:  Okorocha, Masari Keep Mum After Meeting With Buhari

The committee is demanding information on the net assets of the contributory pension funds, details of supervisors and regulators of pension funds administrators and their key instructions and performances, compliances and defaults, details of payment into treasury single account, as well as bank accounts operated by the commission.

READ:  ASUU Condemns FG’s Plan To Increase Tuition Fee In The Public Universities

Continue Reading

Business News

Shell, Total Shut Down Four GenCos Over Debts

Published

on

By

Shell, Total Shut Down Four GenCos Over Debts

Four Gas Generating Companies (GenCos) have shut down production as a result of their failure to pay gas debts owed Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) and total, as well as their inability to access fresh loans for gas.

READ:  ASUU Strike To Continue Until Demands Are Met – Omole

Some of the GenCos have now resorted to securing credit facilities from commercial banks to sustain their production.

 

The executive secretary, Association of Power Generation Companies (APGC), Joy Ogaji said the power plants shutdown production because of lack of access to take loans.

READ:  Nestlé Nigeria, RIDSCo Inaugurate Community Water Projects In Sagamu

Ogaji says the 700 billion naira power assurance guarantee, which the federal executive council approved for the companies in the first quarter of 2017, has been exhausted.

READ:  South-South Gov's Forum Describes Onnoghen's Trial As A Setback To Democracy

But there are hopes that the federal government would make the Electricity Distribution Companies (DISCOS) pay at least 80 per cent of their invoices.

Continue Reading

TRENDING

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: