Andy Murray Gets Emotional, Announces Retirement Plans – Sports News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Sports News

Andy Murray Gets Emotional, Announces Retirement Plans

Published

on

Andy Murray Gets Emotional, Announces Retirement Plans

The first British man to win more than one Wimbledon title since 1936, Andy Murray has announced he might retire after the Australian Open tournament but still have hopes to play Wimbledon if possible.

The former world number one tennis player said, “I’m not sure I’m able to play through the pain for another four or five months.” Murray has been battling with an injury and fears that the Australian Open could be his last tournament.

READ:  Malcom Turnbull Ousted As Scott Morrison Becomes New Australian PM

“Not feeling good. Been struggling for a long time. I would like to play Wimbledon but I am not sure I will be able to do that” “I needed to have an end point because I was sort of playing with no idea when the pain was going to stop.” Murray said in a press conference as he tries to hold back tears from his eyes.

READ:  Tribunal Adjourns Onnoghen's Trial On False Asset Declaration

The 31-years-old only played twelve times last year. He had been suffering from a severe hip injury which he claims makes it difficult sometimes for him to wear his own shoes.

READ:  Phelps Loses World Swimming Record To 10-Year-Old Boy

African News

Uganda: Government Bans Sports Betting, Stops Renewal Of License

Published

on

By

Uganda: Government Bans Sport Betting, Stops Renewal Of License

Ugandan government says it will not renew the licenses of betting companies as part of a plan to ban sports betting.

The State Minister of Finance David Bahati says, President Yoweri Museveni has given a directive to the regulating board to stop licensing sports betting, gaming and gambling companies.

READ:  Turkey Doubles Tariffs On Some U.S. Imports

Betting on English football has become big business and growing one in Uganda.

The minister said the president issued the directive because of the negative impact betting was having on young people.

READ:  Nigerian Lawmakers Agree To Amend Constitution For State Police

Bahati says from now on, no new companies are going to be licensed and no renewal of licenses for those that are already registered, when they expire. He said that church leaders, who have been against sports betting, could now rejoice because quote “their prayers have been answered” end quote.

READ:  War-Torn South Sudan Launches Youth Rugby League For Peace

Continue Reading

Sports News

Australian Open: Serena Williams Defeats World No.1 Simona Halep To Reach Quarter Finals

Published

on

By

Australian Open: Serena Williams Defeats World No.1 Simona Halep To Reach Quarter Finals

Serena Williams defeated world number one, Simona Halep in a three sets encounter 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 to reach the Australian Open quarter finals.

The game which was held at Melbourne Park on Monday saw Williams, who did not play the Australian Open last year following the birth of her daughter came out victorious at the end of a game that lasted an hour and forty-seven minutes which also happens to be her first game against a world number one after her childbirth.

READ:  Black Queens Wary Of Super Falcons’ Threat At AWCON

“It was really intense match and some incredible points but I love playing tennis and being out here, I really needed to elevate my game, I had to play like I knew I could and that was hopefully the difference”, the 23 times Grand Slam champion Serena Williams said after the match.

READ:  CAF Confederations Cup: Enyimba Defeat Djoliba of Mali To Go Top Of Group C

She added that she never gave up and she will continue to be a fighter. “It’s definitely something that’s innate. It’s a miracle I’m here and I get to do something I enjoy. I keep fighting for every point,” she said.

READ:  Turkey Doubles Tariffs On Some U.S. Imports

Continue Reading

Sports News

Calf Injury Taints Man Utd’s Fellaini’s January Transfer

Published

on

By

Calf Injury Taints Man Utd's Fellaini's January Transfer

Marouane Fellaini has suffered a calf injury and will be out for up to four weeks thereby ruling him out of January move away from Manchester United.

Interim boss, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer disclosed this in a press conference ahead of Saturday’s game against Brighton that the, Fellaini “will be out for at least three or four weeks. He’s got a calf problem and that is sad.”
The 31-year-old was linked with a move to AC Milan and Porto but the injury he suffered during training means he will is staying put at Old Trafford.

READ:  CAF Confederations Cup: Enyimba Defeat Djoliba of Mali To Go Top Of Group C

The Belgian midfielder has made just one substitute appearance since the interim manager took over from Jose Mourinho.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: