Tokyo Court Rejects Ex-Nissan Boss Ghosn's Request For Bail – World News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

Tokyo Court Rejects Ex-Nissan Boss Ghosn’s Request For Bail

Published

on

Tokyo Court Rejects Ex-Nissan Boss Ghosn's Request For Bail

Nissan boss, Carlos Ghosn remains in detention after a Tokyo’s District Court denied his bail request on Tuesday.

Ghosn could face a lengthy criminal trial after he was alleged of aggravated breach of trust for transferring personal investment losses to Nissan in 2008 and under-reporting his salary for three years. An allegation which was said to caused damage to the company by having it pay $14.7 million to a Saudi businessman who guaranteed credit for Ghosn, with the money coming from Nissan’s subsidiary in the Middle East.

READ:  Crackdown On Comoros Opposition After Referendum Boycott

In a letter seen by Reuters over the weekend, Ghosn’s wife, urged a human right group based in New York to draw attention to her 64-years-old husband’s “harsh treatment” during detention in a Japanese jail.

READ:  Police Evacuate 500 Train Passengers After Bomb Threat In Germany

However, Tokyo prosecutors say they have enough evidence for a case, although they won’t disclose details until the trial.

Ghosn during his first public appearance last week since he was arrested on November 19, said the compensation he was allegedly failed to report was neither agreed upon nor paid.

READ:  Zimbabwe's Opposition Members Of Parliament Walk Out On Mnangagwa Address

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

Attorney General Barr Preparing For Mueller Report

Published

on

By

Attorney General Prepares For Mueller Report

The U.S. Special Counsel’s investigation into the Trump administration could wrap up as soon as next week with the delivery of a confidential report to the Justice Department.

Reports say Attorney General William Barr is preparing to receive a report from special counsel Robert Mueller, who took over an FBI investigation of the Trump campaign in May 2017.

READ:  G7 Summit: War Of Words Erupts Between US And Key Allies

Barr, who was confirmed by the senate last week, will determine soon after receiving Mueller’s report what information will be provided to Congress.

The exact end date for the Mueller probe has been a longstanding source of speculation in Washington, D.C. In December.

READ:  Ex-Ivory Coast Leader On Trial At ICC, Named Head Of Party's Dissident Wing

American Television Network, NBC, had reported that Mueller planned to deliver his report by mid-February, but a delay in Barr’s confirmation may have contributed to a delay in submitting the report.

READ:  Death Toll Rises To 121 In Brazil Dam Collapse

Continue Reading

World News

Hundreds Of Women, Children Evacuated From Last IS Holdout In Syria

Published

on

By

Hundreds Of Women, Children Evacuated From Last IS Holdout In Syria

Hundreds of persons, including women and children, have been evacuated from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant group’s last holdout in Syria, bringing U.S.-backed forces closer to retaking the last sliver of the so-called “caliphate.”

READ:  Tendai Mtawarira Launches Foundation In Zimbabwe

An official from the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) said on Thursday the civilian evacuation is expected to be completed on the same day.

News correspondents say they saw at least 17 trucks on Wednesday carrying men, women and children out of the last patch of ISIL territory in the eastern Syrian village of Baghouz.

READ:  Ex-Ivory Coast Leader On Trial At ICC, Named Head Of Party's Dissident Wing

SDF spokesman Adnan Afrin says most of the hundreds who had left were civilians, but also included ISIL fighters.

Continue Reading

World News

Putin Warns US Against Deploying New Missiles In Europe

Published

on

By

Putin Warns US Against Deploying New Missiles In Europe

Russia’s President Vladimir Putin has warned the United States against deploying new missiles in Europe, threatening to retaliate in kind by targeting western capitals with Russia’s new weaponry.

READ:  Tendai Mtawarira Launches Foundation In Zimbabwe

Delivering a State of the Nation Address, Putin said the US has abandoned a key arms control pact – the 1987 intermediate-range nuclear forces treaty – to free its hands to build new missiles and tried to shift the blame for the move on Russia.

READ:  Suicide Blast Kills 30 As Pakistan Votes

The INF deal was signed in 1987 by then US president Ronald Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev and resolved a crisis over soviet nuclear-tipped ballistic missiles targeting western capitals.

READ:  International Court Says It Is Undeterred After Bolton Threatens U.S. Sanctions

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: