ASUU Plans To Call Off Strike After Reaching Agreement With FG – Nigerian News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Nigerian News

ASUU Plans To Call Off Strike After Reaching Agreement With FG

Published

on

ASUU Rejects Tokenism As Members Reply FG

The Nigerian Government has reached an agreement with Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) over the unending strike action embarked on by the lecturers since November 4, 2019.

The Labour Minister, Chris Ngige  said there are indications the strike action would be call off soon after a meeting that lasted for hours with the university lecturers was held on Monday.

READ:  CAN Challenges Buhari Over "Biased Appointments"

He said, the accountant general and the ministry of finance have confirmed with evidence that N15.4 billion had been released to public universities.

“On salary shortfall in tertiary institutions, the Ministry of Finance and the office of the accountant general on having provided us with evidence that on the 31st of December, 2018, before the expiration of the current 2018 budget that they have remitted N15,389,940,335.71 the minister added.

READ:  Anambra Counts Losses After Petrol Tanker Explosion As Death Toll Rises

ASUU president, Biodun Ogunyemi, said the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the union will review its decisions based on the new commitment by the federal government and  would hold a meeting to make a decision on the industrial action.

READ:  FG Expresses Displeasure Over Execution Of Nigerian In Saudi

Nigerian News

Governor-Elect Sanwo-Olu, Hamzat To Unveil Key Lagos Road Map

Published

on

By

Governor-Elect Sanwo-Olu, Hamzat To Unveil Key Lagos Road Map

Lagos state governor-elect, Babajide Sanwo-Olu and his deputy-governor-elect, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat have said they will unveil the key Lagos road map in ten days.   They said adopting the key road map will help in actualizing the vision for a greater Lagos

READ:  ASUU Strike To Continue Until Demands Are Met – Omole

An appreciation dinner is being organized for the governor-elect and deputy-governor-elect to thank residents of the state for their overwhelming support at the poll, and to also unveil the strategies to be adopted in achieving the set objectives for the state.

READ:  Anambra Counts Losses After Petrol Tanker Explosion As Death Toll Rises

The governor-elect says the manifesto, as captured in the five pillars of developmental agenda for the state, aptly presents a clear vision and roadmap in critical sectors, including traffic management and transportation; health and environment; education and technology; making Lagos a 21st century economy; as well as entertainment and tourism.

READ:  Nigerian Government Withdraws Threat To Activate "No Work, No Pay" Policy Against University Lectures

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

Girl Child Education Beyond Getting Girls Into Schools – UNICEF

Published

on

By

Girl Child Education Beyond Getting Girls Into Schools - UNICEF

The United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF) says girl child education goes beyond just getting girls into schools.

UNICEF chief of field office in Kaduna, Dr Zakari Adam, stated this at a two-day meeting of high-level women advocates, UNICEF’s Nigeria intervention project, currently in 14 states.

READ:  Ekiti State PDP Expresses Confidence In State Working Committee

It is funded by the UK department for international development to advocate for women education and empowerment in their respective states.

Adam says it is not enough to get the girl child to school, but one must ensure that the girl is safe, and that she learns and completes all levels of education to live a quality life.

READ:  CJN Onnoghen's Trial: Appeal Court Gives CCT A Go Ahead

Adam explained that the meeting was organized for the women to review progress and challenges, and to draw action plans that would improve access to opportunities and quality education for girls and young people.

READ:  CAN Challenges Buhari Over "Biased Appointments"

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

Onnoghen’s Resignation Not Enough – SANs

Published

on

By

Onnoghen's Resignation Not Enough - SANs

A 20-man group of Senior Advocates of Nigeria under the umbrella of the justice reform project is saying former Chief Justice Walter Onnoghen’s resignation was not enough because of the grave nature of the allegations” against him.

The group is urging the federal government to sanction other judges whose legitimate earnings do not justify their wealth.

READ:  South-South Gov's Forum Describes Onnoghen's Trial As A Setback To Democracy

The justice reform project says extending the anti-graft exercise to other judges will restore confidence in the judiciary and dampen the notion that the former Chief Justice of Nigeria was being victimized.

READ:  FG, ASUU To Resume Talks Next Week

The group, set up to push for reforms in the judiciary/legal profession, is led by one of the oldest Senior Advocates of Nigeria, Ebun Sofunde.  Some of the members include Jibrin Okutepa, Dr Babatunde Ajibade, Prof Ernest Ojukwu, Osaro Eghobamien, Funke Adekoya, and Kayode Sofola.

READ:  President Buhari Approves Immediate Settlement For Former Employees Of Defunct Nigeria Airways

The group says Onnoghen’s resignation is not an answer to the allegations against him.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: