US-Mexico Border: Trump Makes Appeal For Wall – World News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

US-Mexico Border: Trump Makes Appeal For Wall

Published

on

US-Mexico Border: Trump Makes Appeal For Wall

President Donald Trump has urged congressional democrats to fund his long-promised border wall Tuesday night in a Sombre televised address.  His presentation was heavy with dark immigration rhetoric, but he gave no signs he was ready to break the standoff in the government shutdown that has left large parts of the government shuttered for 19 days.

Speaking to the nation from the oval office for the first time, Trump argued the wall was needed to resolve a security and humanitarian “crisis.”   he blamed illegal immigration for what he said was a scourge of drugs and violence in the U.S.

READ:  Air Hostess Falls Out Of Plane, Suffers Injuries

Democrats in response accused Trump appealing to “fear, not facts” and manufacturing a border crisis for political gain.  Schumer said Trump “just used the backdrop of the oval office to manufacture a crisis, stoke fear and divert attention from the turmoil in his administration.”

READ:  Machar Arrives Ethiopia For Talks To End The Civil War

 Trump hoped to gain the upper hand in the standoff over his demand for five and a half billion dollars to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. He plans a visit to the border Thursday.

He addressed the nation as the shutdown had caused hundreds of thousands of federal workers to go without pay, and some congressional republicans growing increasingly jittery about the spreading impact on them.

READ:  Reuters Myanmar Reporters Jailed For Seven Years In Landmark Secrets Case

Meanwhile, Trump’s claim that his border wall request had been endorsed by the four living former presidents has been debunked by those former presidents.

Former presidents Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama all said they had never discussed the border wall with Trump.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

Portugal Confirms 29 Germans Killed In Bus Crash

Published

on

By

Portugal Confirms 29 Germans Killed In Bus Crash

Portugal’s foreign ministry has confirmed that all 29 people killed in a tour bus crash on Madeira Island were German.

The bus that was carrying 55 persons rolled down a steep hill after veering off the road on a bend east of Madeira’s capital, Funchal.

READ:  Merkel: Coalition Won't Fall Apart Due To Dispute Over Top Spy

Authorities say they are investigating the cause and would inspect the bus for mechanical problems. 28 others are injured and receiving treatment in the hospital.

READ:  Empty Shelves, Poor Customer Service Speed Sears' Demise

The bus was carrying German tourists, as well as a Portuguese driver and guide. People at the roadside are also thought to be among the casualties.

READ:  Trump Names Former Army General As Ambassador To Saudi Arabia

Head of the Funchal, Tomasia Alves, says 28 persons were taken from the accident scene to a morgue, and another person died later in the hospital.

Continue Reading

African News

US To Toughen Measures Against Africans Who Overstay Short-Term Visas

Published

on

By

US To Toughen Measures Against Africans Who Overstay Short-Term Visas

The United States has announced tough new measures against Africans who overstay their short-term visas in the country.  This is in concert with president Donald Trump’s efforts to curb immigration.

READ:  Machar Arrives Ethiopia For Talks To End The Civil War

The wall street journal reports African national with high overstay rates, including Nigeria, Chad, Eritrea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, could be affected by the clamp-down.

READ:  Bemba To Return To DR Congo Next Week

In a 2017 report, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) recorded the African countries to be among those, under the non-visa waiver program, whose nationals have the highest populations of overstays among non-immigrants in the United States.

READ:  Osun 2018: Candidates Make Promises

Continue Reading

African News

Advisor To The Presidential Ivanka Trump And OPIC Chief Announce $1Billion Women’s Investment Initiative

Published

on

By

Advisor To The Presidential Ivanka Trump And OPIC Chief Announce $1Billion Women's Investment Initiative

Advisor and daughter of the US President, Ivanka Trump, has joined with David Bohigian, acting president and CEO of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC), the U.S. Government’s development finance institution, to announce the launch of OPIC’s initiative to support investment in women in Africa. The announcement was made during a U.S. government delegation to Ethiopia.

READ:  Brexit Talks Stall Before Midweek EU Summit

OPIC aims to unlock the full economic potential of women in Africa by catalyzing one billion dollars through the initiative, directly investing 350 million dollars in businesses and funds owned by women, led by women, or providing a good or service that intentionally empowers women on the continent.

READ:  Germany Steps Up Migrant Deportations To North Africa

The women’s initiative will advance the white house-led government commitment to empowering women globally.

Ivanka Trump said for women to succeed as entrepreneurs and job creators, they must have equal access to the financing necessary to start and grow their businesses,

READ:  Australian Prime Minister Calls On Pope Francis To Sack Arch Bishop

The Overseas Private Investment Corporation, (OPIC), was established in 1971 as a self-sustaining U.S. government agency that helps American businesses invest in emerging markets.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: