Onnoghen Trial: CCT Chairman Reacts To Accusation Of Abuse Of Judicial Power – Nigerian News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Nigerian News

Onnoghen Trial: CCT Chairman Reacts To Accusation Of Abuse Of Judicial Power

Published

on

Onnoghen Trial: CCT Chairman Reacts To Accusation Of Abuse Of Judicial Power

Chairman of the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, Danladi Umar, has responded to criticism of his actions in the trial of the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen.  Umar said he was only responsible to the presidency, and it is to him alone he is answerable.

READ:  CJN Onnoghen's Trial: Appeal Court Gives CCT A Go Ahead

The CCT chairman says he would not answer the Federal Judicial Service Commission query to get his reaction to a petition accusing him of engaging in reckless abuse of judicial powers.

The National Judicial Council had disclosed in late January it had forwarded to Umar a petition against him by a group associated with the center for justice and peace initiative.  The group had accused him of reckless abuse of judicial powers in granting an ex-parte order for Justice Onnoghen’s removal from office, even though he had not been convicted of any offense.

READ:  Adamawa's Female Senator Binta Masi Garba Surprised By APC's 'Automatic Ticket'

President Buhari has relied on that ex-parte order in swearing in the acting Chief Justice of the Federation.

The National Judicial Council had said the Federal Judicial Service Commission was the appropriate constitutional body empowered to deal with issues the petitioner raised against Umar.

READ:  American Embassy Denies Issuing Visa To Atiku Abubakar

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nigerian News

Falana Calls For Visa Ban, Prosecution Of El-Rufai For ‘Body Bags’ Threats

Published

on

By

Falana Says El-Rufai May Be Prosecuted For 'Body Bags' Threats

A sage in Nigeria’s legal profession, Senior Advocate of Nigeria and human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, says Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, may be prosecuted at the end of his tenure for his threat of sending back in body bags foreigners who interfere with Nigeria’s elections.

READ:  Lassa Fever Kills Woman In Edo State

Falana was speaking at an event in Lagos honoring Beko Ransome-Kuti at the secratariat of the Committee for the Defense of Human Rights, CDHR.  The activist lawyer has urged international communities to impose a visa ban on El-Rufai.

READ:  Pay TV Subscribers Lament Over Service Quality And High Charges

He also said El-Rufai’s threat to attack and kill foreign election observers in Nigeria constitutes an infraction of the 2010 electoral act.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

‘Leaked’ Audio Is A Wilful Defamation, Tinubu Reacts To Vote-Buying Allegation

Published

on

By

'Leaked' Audio Is A Wilful Defamation, Tinubu Reacts To Vote Buying Allegation

National leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, has reacted to leaked audio, where he was reportedly quoted as bargaining with electorates for their votes in exchange for money.  Tinubu says the audio is a wilful defamation.  He also said the perpetrators have crossed the line into the impermissible.

READ:  Tribunal Adjourns Onnoghen's Trial On False Asset Declaration

The leaked audio sounded like Tinubu addressing a meeting of APC supporters in Lagos last week.

In a statement released on Wednesday, Tinubu said the audio was meant to paint him in a poor light.  He said in the statement that politics is an arena where mischief and exaggeration may not be the best craft but are permitted excesses of the trade.

READ:  American Embassy Denies Issuing Visa To Atiku Abubakar

The statement said the leaked audio grossly mis-translates Tinubu’s statements to imply corruption and election malpractice.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

Friday Public Holiday Is To Prepare Nigerians To Exercise Franchise – Buhari

Published

on

By

Friday Public Holiday Is To Enable Franchise - President Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has declared Friday a public holiday.  The president says this is for Nigerians to prepare for the rescheduled presidential and National Assembly election.

READ:  American Embassy Denies Issuing Visa To Atiku Abubakar

Many had used last week’s similar work free day to travel to their home towns and villages where they are registered to vote.  The postponement of the election took everybody back to his work station.  Now that trip has to be made again if they are to exercise their franchise to vote in this election.

READ:  Pay TV Subscribers Lament Over Service Quality And High Charges

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: