Almost 120 Child Soldiers Released In South Sudan – African News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

Almost 120 Child Soldiers Released In South Sudan

Published

on

Almost 120 Child Soldiers Released In South Sudan

South Sudan has released nearly 120 children in Yambio where they were reported to be associated with the South Sudan National Liberation Movement, bringing the total number of children released to more than three thousand.

The release coincided with the international day against the use of child soldiers on Monday. Of the 119 children, 48 were girls and the youngest was only 10 years old.

READ:  Experts Warn Somalia Against Impacts Of Climate Change

UNICEF Executive Director, Henrietta Fore visited South Sudan last year and said, even though it is encouraging to free the children from armed group, there is a long way to go before all thousands child soldiers still in their ranks are returned to their families.

READ:  Djibouti Boat Accident: Death Toll Now 52

UNICEF is unable to pinpoint exact data on the number of children who are or have been used and recruited into armed conflict, but it is estimated that tens of thousands of children – aged 18 and younger – are used in these situations worldwide as fighters, cooks, porters, messengers and spies, or even subjected to sexual exploitation.

READ:  Senegal Bars Two Opposition Candidates From Presidential Race

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Ethiopian Airlines Says Compensation Payment To Victims’ Families Is Underway

Published

on

By

Ethiopian Airlines Says Compensation Payment To Victims' Families Is Underway

Ethiopian Airlines CEO, Tewolde Gebremariam says, the airline, has began distributing compensation payments to families of victims who died in last month’s devastating plane crash, near Addis Ababa.

All 157 persons on-board the Nairobi-bound Boeing 737 MAX 8 were killed when it came down shortly after take-off.

READ:  Senegal Bars Two Opposition Candidates From Presidential Race

Gebremariam said, the airline is working alongside insurance companies to establish victims’ identities to distribute compensation and the necessary authorities to follow up on the march tenth tragedy.

READ:  UN Urges Action On Marking Disputed Sudan-South Sudan Border

He says, Ethiopian Airlines has grounded all of its Boeing 737 MAX 8 fleet since the tragedy, and will decide on whether or not to continue future orders with Boeing once both parties make careful considerations and jointly find solutions to the issues.

READ:  Salva Kiir Ready To Accept Peace Deal To End South Sudan Civil War

Continue Reading

African News

US To Toughen Measures Against Africans Who Overstay Short-Term Visas

Published

on

By

US To Toughen Measures Against Africans Who Overstay Short-Term Visas

The United States has announced tough new measures against Africans who overstay their short-term visas in the country.  This is in concert with president Donald Trump’s efforts to curb immigration.

READ:  Zimbabwe President Appoints Commission Of Inquiry Over Post-election Protests

The wall street journal reports African national with high overstay rates, including Nigeria, Chad, Eritrea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, could be affected by the clamp-down.

READ:  Chinese Ambassador To South Sudan Signs Peace Deal As International Witness

In a 2017 report, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) recorded the African countries to be among those, under the non-visa waiver program, whose nationals have the highest populations of overstays among non-immigrants in the United States.

READ:  Senegal Bars Two Opposition Candidates From Presidential Race

Continue Reading

African News

Advisor To The Presidential Ivanka Trump And OPIC Chief Announce $1Billion Women’s Investment Initiative

Published

on

By

Advisor To The Presidential Ivanka Trump And OPIC Chief Announce $1Billion Women's Investment Initiative

Advisor and daughter of the US President, Ivanka Trump, has joined with David Bohigian, acting president and CEO of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC), the U.S. Government’s development finance institution, to announce the launch of OPIC’s initiative to support investment in women in Africa. The announcement was made during a U.S. government delegation to Ethiopia.

READ:  Egypt's Leader Faults Media Coverage Of Khashoggi Slaying

OPIC aims to unlock the full economic potential of women in Africa by catalyzing one billion dollars through the initiative, directly investing 350 million dollars in businesses and funds owned by women, led by women, or providing a good or service that intentionally empowers women on the continent.

READ:  South Sudan Rebel Chief Agrees To Sign Peace Deal

The women’s initiative will advance the white house-led government commitment to empowering women globally.

Ivanka Trump said for women to succeed as entrepreneurs and job creators, they must have equal access to the financing necessary to start and grow their businesses,

READ:  US Condemns Bill To Extend Salva Kiir's Presidency

The Overseas Private Investment Corporation, (OPIC), was established in 1971 as a self-sustaining U.S. government agency that helps American businesses invest in emerging markets.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: