Christchurch Shootings: 49 Dead In New Zealand Mosque Attacks – World News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

Christchurch Shootings: 49 Dead In New Zealand Mosque Attacks

Published

on

Christchurch Shootings: 49 Dead In New Zealand Mosque Attacks

At least Forty-nine people have been killed and at least 20 wounded in mass shootings at two mosques full of worshippers in Christchurch, New Zealand.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has described the attack as one of the country’s darkest days.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison described the gunman, who had Australian citizenship, as an “extremist, right-wing” terrorist.

READ:  Britain Calls For 'Calm, Restraint' After Zimbabwe Violence

Police called on the public not to share the “extremely distressing” footage online. Facebook said it had removed the gunman’s Facebook and Instagram accounts and was working to remove any copies of the footage.

The suspect was also believed to have published a manifesto outlining his intentions, in which he espoused far right and anti-immigrant ideology.

READ:  CAN Wants 5 Convicted Christians Spared

Speaking at a press conference, Mr Bush said police were working to determine whether the other suspects detained were involved in the incident.

He said a number of firearms had been recovered from both shooting sites.

Officials said that one man in his late 20s had been charged with murder, and that two explosive devices were found attached to a vehicle that they had stopped

READ:  Doctor In Eastern Congo Contracts Ebola In 'Dreaded' Scenario - WHO

A Muslim leader in New Zealand said the attack was especially shocking as it took place around Friday Prayer. The police urged people to stay away from the mosques until further notice

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

Israeli Forces Arrest Seven Palestinians In West Bank Raid

Published

on

By

Israeli Forces Arrest Seven Palestinians In West Bank Raid

Israeli Forces have arrested seven Palestinians from various areas of the occupied West Bank, in multiple overnight raids across the area.

The army said the individuals were arrested for “suspected involvement in terrorist activities” and had been referred to relevant authorities for further investigation.

READ:  CAN Wants 5 Convicted Christians Spared

Israeli forces continued on Monday to hunt for a Palestinian they said killed two persons and injured a third on Sunday near the illegal Jewish settlement of Ariel in the occupied west bank.

READ:  Domestic Opposition Could Force "No-deal" Brexit

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu visited the site of the attack on Monday and pledged tough action, including demolition of the assailant’s home.

Continue Reading

World News

Indonesian Floods: Death Toll Rises To 89

Published

on

By

Indonesian Floods: Death Toll Rises To 89

The death toll from flash floods and mudslides, triggered by days of torrential downpours in Indonesia’s easternmost Papua province, has risen to 89, with dozens of others missing.

Spokesperson for the National Disaster Mitigation Agency, Sutopo Purwo, says 89 bodies had been pulled from the mud and wreckage of collapsed homes by Tuesday.

READ:  Kremlin Denies Involvement In US Politics Through Social Media

Another one hundred fifty-nine persons were injured, including 84 who were hospitalised, many with broken bones and head wounds.

The number of dead is expected to rise as rescue workers comb through affected areas.

READ:  Longest Total Lunar Eclipse Of The Century Happening This July

Papua military spokesperson, Colonel Muhammad Aidi, says more than sixteen hundred rescuers, including soldiers and police, faced difficulties on Tuesday in clearing huge piles of debris because of shortages of heavy equipment.

READ:  U.S., Mexico Reach Free Trade Deal, Turn Up Pressure On Canada

Continue Reading

World News

UPDATES: Dutch Police Arrest Suspect In Deadly Tram Shooting

Published

on

By

Dutch Police Arrest Suspect In Deadly Tram Shooting

Dutch police have arrested The suspect in the deadly tram shooting in Utrecht, Netherlands, officials say.

Motive for the shooting remains unclear; police have said they were investigating a “possible terrorist motive” for the attack, but reports have also emerged that the shooting might have its roots in a family dispute.

READ:  Police Ban Zimbabwe Opposition From Holding Election Protest

The shooting incident occurred in the Dutch city of Utrecht where a gunman opened fire on a tram in the central part of the city on Monday killing at least three persons and wounding nine.

READ:  U.S., Mexico Reach Free Trade Deal, Turn Up Pressure On Canada

Utrecht police have released a photo of the suspect. He is Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish national.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: