Poland's Catholic Church Set To Release Sex Abuse Statistics – World News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

Poland’s Catholic Church Set To Release Sex Abuse Statistics

Published

on

Poland's Catholic Church Set To Release Sex Abuse Statistics

Poland’s Catholic church leaders are preparing to publish statistics on the abuse of minors by priests since 1990.

Archbishop Stanislaw Gadecki say the documented cases are to be published during a news conference Thursday.

READ:  Labour Mobilises For Strike Over Alleged Stuck Minimum Wage Talks

Church leaders in predominantly catholic Poland have admitted to cases of abuse of minors by priests but have not revealed their number.

A private foundation supporting victims of abuse has given Pope Francis a list of more than ninety court verdicts on priests and hundreds of cases of alleged abuse.

READ:  ANN News 5PM | Presidency Assures That Electoral Act Bill Will Be Signed | August 29, 2018

Recently, a statue of a prominent solidary-era priest was removed amid allegations the late reverend Henryk Jankowsky abused minors.  Jankowski was respected for his pro-democracy activities in the 1980s.

READ:  Nigerian Film Industry's Popularity Spreads Beyond Africa

Church leaders have been discussing abuse and ways of protecting children during a three-day meeting in Warsaw.

World News

Israeli Forces Arrest Seven Palestinians In West Bank Raid

Published

on

By

Israeli Forces Arrest Seven Palestinians In West Bank Raid

Israeli Forces have arrested seven Palestinians from various areas of the occupied West Bank, in multiple overnight raids across the area.

The army said the individuals were arrested for “suspected involvement in terrorist activities” and had been referred to relevant authorities for further investigation.

READ:  Nigerian Film Industry's Popularity Spreads Beyond Africa

Israeli forces continued on Monday to hunt for a Palestinian they said killed two persons and injured a third on Sunday near the illegal Jewish settlement of Ariel in the occupied west bank.

READ:  IS Militants And Their Relatives Surrender To SDF

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu visited the site of the attack on Monday and pledged tough action, including demolition of the assailant’s home.

Continue Reading

World News

Indonesian Floods: Death Toll Rises To 89

Published

on

By

Indonesian Floods: Death Toll Rises To 89

The death toll from flash floods and mudslides, triggered by days of torrential downpours in Indonesia’s easternmost Papua province, has risen to 89, with dozens of others missing.

Spokesperson for the National Disaster Mitigation Agency, Sutopo Purwo, says 89 bodies had been pulled from the mud and wreckage of collapsed homes by Tuesday.

READ:  Third Canadian Detained In China

Another one hundred fifty-nine persons were injured, including 84 who were hospitalised, many with broken bones and head wounds.

The number of dead is expected to rise as rescue workers comb through affected areas.

READ:  Lagos Tanker Explosion: Lagos State Government Commiserates With Families Of Victims

Papua military spokesperson, Colonel Muhammad Aidi, says more than sixteen hundred rescuers, including soldiers and police, faced difficulties on Tuesday in clearing huge piles of debris because of shortages of heavy equipment.

READ:  WHO Convenes Emergency Meeting On DRC's Ebola Outbreak

Continue Reading

World News

UPDATES: Dutch Police Arrest Suspect In Deadly Tram Shooting

Published

on

By

Dutch Police Arrest Suspect In Deadly Tram Shooting

Dutch police have arrested The suspect in the deadly tram shooting in Utrecht, Netherlands, officials say.

Motive for the shooting remains unclear; police have said they were investigating a “possible terrorist motive” for the attack, but reports have also emerged that the shooting might have its roots in a family dispute.

READ:  'Chatty And Jovial' Zim VP Back In Zim After Receiving Medical Treatment In SA

The shooting incident occurred in the Dutch city of Utrecht where a gunman opened fire on a tram in the central part of the city on Monday killing at least three persons and wounding nine.

READ:  Three Injured In Multiple Explosions In Afghan

Utrecht police have released a photo of the suspect. He is Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish national.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: